The lights flickered yellow, pink, green, and orange. Dresses swirl about giving the entire room a fairy like appearance. The silver black and gold mask I'm wearing sits right under my brow and covers half of my face, sweeping down to my chin. My bustle is too tight and I'm having a hard time taking in deep breathes but I smile despite of it. My older sister is quickly surrounded by a mob of adoring young men who begin to argue over who gets to have the first dance with her. It's always like that. Everyone flocks to my sister so they don't notice me slid out of their conglomerate mass.
Keeping my head held high like my mother taught me, I flounce towards the other side of the party to where there are chairs. I quickly situate myself to look like I am very busy fixing my tight pinchy shoes. After around an hour or so of pretending to be busy I give up and just sit in my chair looking at the floor. Polished shoes flit in and out of my vision and soon blur into a mass of jumbled colors. Tears trickle down my face and onto my lap. I quickly wipe them away, mentally kicking myself for letting the loneliness get to me.
A pair of shiny black shoes stop right in front of me. Hoping for the best I lift up my head and instantly know what my sisters mean by love at first sight. His hair is the color of almonds and his eyes, oh his eyes are an intense blue. Being the sensible girl that I am I waited for him to speak first. (okay actually I was in total awe of him and could think of nothing to say that would be worthy of him)
He smoothly asked," Would you like to dance?"
I answered in my high nervous voice," Yeah, sure I'd love to."
He grinned and held his hand out for me to take. I happily slid my hand into his and we spent the rest of the night dancing and laughing. We talked of so many different things that I don't even remember half of them. The night was wonderful and marvelous and exactly how I had dreamed it would be. No, actually it was even better then I had dreamed it to be because it is real. The funny thing is, now I believe in love at first sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment